How it works ?
- Interact with the applet for a few minutes.
- The purple segment that will appear is said to be an ALTITUDE OF A TRIANGLE. Be sure to move the blue vertex of the triangle around a bit as well.
- Answer the questions that appear below the applet.
- Is it ever possible for a triangle’s altitude to lie inside the triangle?
- Is it ever possible for a triangle’s altitude to lie ON the triangle itself? That is, can an altitude of a triangle ever be the same as ONE SIDE of the triangle?
- If so, in what kind of a triangle will this occur?
- Is it ever possible for a triangle’s altitude to lie entirely OUTSIDE the triangle?
- Given your responses to these question and what you’ve observed, complete the following sentence definition (without looking it up on another tab in your browser):
- An altitude of a triangle is…